I had put this blog to the side for the past few months as I navigated my house move and at the same time my work life exploded. My usual work hours are crazy enough for balancing caregiving so the added work has been a real strain.
But late last week, I got a message that gingkoguy had nominated me for a “Very Inspiring Blogger Award,” and it made me realize– hey people are reading this. What nice news, thanks gingkoguy! It inspired me to get myself writing again. I have enjoyed checking out his blog. It’s quite refreshing to hear a male caregiving voice.
The “Very Inspiring Blogger Award” is meant to be paid forward – giving homage to those bloggers who we follow for inspiration. It has rules: 1) Thank and link to the amazing person who nominated you, 2) List the rules and display the award, 3) Share seven facts about yourself, 4) Nominate 15 other amazing blogs, commenting on their posts to let them know about their nominations, and 5) Proudly display the award logo on your blog, and follow the blogger who nominated you.
So while this is feeling like a rather long blog post ever, here are seven facts about me:
(1) One of my favorite part of blogging is seeing when I get readers in India and Italy and Brazil. It makes me happy to be reminded that we are all going through such similar – and yet distinct – journeys.
(2) My life bucket list still includes a whole lot of travel. It’s off the table for now and I miss it but am determined to make it to many more places at some point, especially in Southeast Asia, South America and to spend more time in the Australian outback.
(3) I just bought a big old house and feel like I have stepped into some sort of dream that I now own bay windows with window seats. Of course I also already had my first leak which was a bit less dreamy.
(4) I am now 37 and have identified as a caregiver since I was 35. I expect this identity to last many more years of my life.
(5) Like many others who blog, I am also a serious reader. Einstein’s Dreams is my absolute favorite book.
(6) I can give a list of my top ten books and my top ten movies. Also my top ten favorite cities. I very much enjoy lists.
(7) There seems to be an inverse relationship between time on WordPress and time on Facebook for me. I would much rather be here.
And now for my nominations. A few of the blogs that I appreciate have already been nominated but here are two favorites that definitely inspire me:
You just have to laugh: Cathy’s blog strikes an balance tone in finding the absurd humor in caregiving while also talking about lots of the practical real challenges that we face. Appreciate it so much, especially the humor.
Out of a Great Need: This is a lovely blog on another kind of caregiving, for daughters with mental illnesses. So much thought and creativity in working toward their recoveries. And some great reflections on mindfulness and caregiving.
It’s great to recognize the way that we all inspire one another through this blogging space. Thanks to all who inspire me!
August 14, 2014 at 5:34 am
Just found your blog via Gingko’s nomination – well done!
I am a fellow dementia caregiver (in my case, to my MIL) and also find it helpful to blog about it. Am also in my 30s trying to climb the ladder as well – did not expect to be in this position at this age, as am sure you didn’t either…
Have linked to you and look forward to reading more 🙂
August 16, 2014 at 10:23 am
Oh, my gosh, thank you so much for your kind words.
It was so nice to wake up to your post about your travels with your mom and your kind words today.